Children come to our program from a wide variety of backgrounds and have different reasons for seeking a mentoring relationship with us. They benefit significantly from their time spent with an older role model.
We have matched 1st graders through 8th graders from public, private and home schools located near the following high schools:
- Skyline, Eastlake and Eastside Catholic High Schools, Sammamish, WA
- Issaquah High School, Issaquah, WA
- Liberty High School, Renton, WA
- Overlake and Redmond High Schools, Redmond, WA
- Newport High School, Bellevue, WA
- Mercer Island High School, Mercer Island, WA
Our mentors have a unique impact because of their age and their perceived status as athletes in the community. They are proven, responsible young members of society and are motivated to succeed in school and their chosen sport. They are committed to sharing their gifts and passion with the greater community.
Screening and Training
We carefully screen and accept only highly qualified applicants. Training begins in an intensive interview, continues in a mandatory workshop with follow-up in monthly mentor meetings at each high school supervised by Athletes For Kids staff. These fun-loving compassionate volunteers have a lot to offer your child.