Athletes for Kids Policy
- Mentors and buddies are not allowed to meet inside the home of either the mentor or buddy.
- Mentors and buddies may meet outside, wearing masks and maintaining social distance.
This policy is effective until further notice. All mentors and buddy families must comply with this policy or risk dismissal from the program.
Click here for updated COVID-19 regulations in King County.
In order to practice responsibility and in accordance to King County Public Health Department we have suspended in person buddy and mentor meetings, trainings and monthly events during this time. However, despite social distance, we have learned to thrive in new and safe ways.
At this time:
- Our mentors and buddies are meeting via Facetime, Whatsapp Video or Skype at least once a week and once a week we are posting on our website fun ideas of activities mentors and buddies can do while meeting online
- We are holding our online mentor meetings with our Mentorship Coordinator and Executive Director every week to support and check in with the high school athletes in the communities we serve
- We trained 30 new mentors on Saturday, March 28 via Zoom
- On March 20 and March 21 we posted a “chalk your walk” activity on our social media channels to motivate our community to write encouraging messages on their sidewalk
- We had a virtual mentor event on April 24 for all AFK mentors in all our 12 high school chapters
- We are sharing the impact of our program in our social media channels where mentors and mentee parents are sharing encouraging messages of kindness during this time.
During this time of unprecedented challenges we have the commitment to do everything in our power to help our community and AFK families in any way we can:
Do you need help? If you are an AFK family that is facing hardships please send an email to Marni: email@example.com **All information will be kept confidential**
How can I help? If you would be interested in supporting AFK families going through hardships please mail us gift cards of essential stores and groceries at Athletes for Kids 3020 Issaquah Pine Lake Rd. #254, Sammamish, WA 98075. Please note we are not accepting physical items at this time. If you have any questions please contact Marni: firstname.lastname@example.org
We will continue to work every day to support our mentors, buddies and community and to fulfill our vision and mission in this new environment. We are in this together and we can make a difference, one mentorship at a time.
Keep It Small and Simple
On Friday (6/5), the State approved King County’s Safe Start plan for a Modified Phase 1. Under this plan, outdoor recreation and gatherings of up to five people outside the household are permitted but some activities, facilities, and events remain restricted. Additionally, social distancing is still required. This guidance remains in place through Phase 2.
In place of “Keep It Moving” messaging, Seattle Parks and Recreation will be asking park goers to “Keep It Small and Simple.” The public is encouraged to visit parks and enjoy trails, walking paths, and lawns, but must refrain from large gatherings, large sport games, or parties.
In it Together
We are thankful to our mentors and buddies for making thank-you cards for the essential workers of our community and care cards for the residents of nursing homes.
Current Skyline High School mentor Tyler and his AFK alumni brother Spencer giving back to the community by making cloth masks for local hospitals.
Mercer Island School District Family Support Resources: https://www.mercerislandschools.org/coronavirus
Snoqualmie Valley School District Family Resources and Information: https://www.svsd410.org/site/Default.aspx?PageID=8550
Lake Washington School District Information and Support: https://www.lwsd.org/programs-and-services/health-services/coronavirus-information
Bellevue School District Update: https://bsd405.org/corona-virus-covid-19/
Issaquah School District Family Resources and Information: https://www.issaquah.wednet.edu/issaquahhs/view/emergency-district/2020/03/26/family-resources-and-information-during-covid-19-closure
Issaquah School District Supports: https://www.issaquah.wednet.edu/family/supports